Saturday, October 3, 2015

September Summary



Wow. What a month! The Market was certainly very volatile in September. After paying my property taxes and insurance bills at the end of August, my capital was relatively low. However, I managed to scrape through and made some purchases almost weekly. At the end of month, my frugal wife, Mrs. D4s decided to plan our vacation for next year! Obviously, this took a bite out of my regular investments. Here’s a summary of Articles written in September in case you missed it.




A summary of my purchases are shown in the table below. For all the work ($5,264 investments), I expect an addition of $161 to my yearly dividends.



Date
Transaction
Ticker
Price
Quantity
Amount
Dividends/Year
Est. For Dividend
9/1/2015
Buy
UTX
90.46
11.01
996.05
2.56
$28.19
9/4/2015
Buy
KMB
103.99
14.00
1455.86
3.52
$49.28
9/8/2015
Buy
IVZ
32.41
24.56
796.05
1.08
$26.53
9/15/2015
Buy
UL
39.67
25.11
996.05
1.30
$32.65
9/28/2015
Buy
ABT
39.24
26.00
1020.24
0.96
$24.96




Total
$5,264.25
Total
$161.60


I am happy that I am continuing to invest - even when my capital is low. So far, I’ve invested more than $85k (+reinvestments).


I truly believe in regular investments to smooth out the effect of a erratic, non-logical market.


Company Diversification


I have close to 28 companies now - not including SOUHV since it hasn’t delivered with any dividends yet. It’s such a small position that it doesn’t really impact my portfolio.



Sector Diversification


I am still weak in the healthcare sector. I will try to focus on this area in the coming weeks (and months) assuming the sector stays low.


Dividend Income


Now the good stuff! I am pleased to report a dividend income of $383 last month. This is a new record!


Date
Transaction
Ticker
Dividends
9/1/2015
ReinvDiv
AFL
11.06
9/4/2015
ReinvDiv
IVZ
12.15
9/8/2015
ReinvDiv
JNJ
26.55
9/8/2015
ReinvDiv
WMT
33.88
9/9/2015
ReinvDiv
UL
13.12
9/10/2015
ReinvDiv
UTX
9.6
9/10/2015
ReinvDiv
EMR
51.45
9/10/2015
ReinvDiv
XOM
42.08
9/14/2015
ReinvDiv
MMM
20.5
9/15/2015
ReinvDiv
DOV
20.29
9/16/2015
ReinvDiv
MCD
16.44
9/25/2015
ReinvDiv
NOV
16.1
9/29/2015
ReinvDiv
TROW
32.56
9/29/2015
ReinvDiv
BBL
50.96
9/30/2015
ReinvDiv
UNP
26.95


Total
383.69


Based on the chart below, this came out of nowhere! I think my efforts in the last few months are really paying dividends :).

Estimated Forward Dividends


My forward estimated dividends is $2973.
Summary


Last month, the market had a 10% correction, and then went up a few percentages, and then down again. Overall, I am down around 6.7%. Based on my experiments, the valuation losses in the initial years can be up to 30% or more, so this is all part of the long journey.


Total Valuation
80,941.55
Total Cost
86,750.38
Total Gain
-6.70%
Est FW Div
2973.99
Est Yield
3.43%


Though my portfolio total is down, I am happy with the direction of my investments. I am extremely happy with the estimated yearly dividend income which is inching closer to the $3K point.


That’s it for all. How was your September?


D4s






15 comments:

  1. I love how you graph your investments out, super organized. Congratulations on $383 in dividends for the month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Chimp,
      Compared to your skills at organizing things (i.e. your per-company reports), I am just a novice. Thanks for your comments!
      D4s

      Delete
    2. I'm big on organization and presentation of information in an easy to understand way, that's why I like your blog. It's consistent in how you report your information, so when your readers visit they know where they can find the data, good stuff as always.

      Delete
  2. What a tower that September dividend compared to others! Congrats on the new record!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dividend Lord,
      Thanks! It looks like a lot of DGIers are reporting excellent income reports. When I look at the market with its ups and downs and then compare it with the dividend income, it is very obvious what the focus should be.
      Thanks for visiting.
      D4s

      Delete
  3. Nice going, Div4Son.
    Congrats on the new record - nice big jump there from prev months!
    R2R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks R2R. It is good to see my efforts over the last few months being converted to a nice income. The really good thing is that the income will rise if everything is going according to plan.
      D4s

      Delete
  4. Nice dividend income for the month. Congrats on a new record. I see quite a few names in common between our portfolios for the month. Always happy to be a fellow shareholder. A lot of new buys too for the month. Over $5k is a lot to contribute but I guess you did it at a great time when the market has swooned. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DivHut,
      I looked at your portfolio recently and indeed we have similar companies though your healthcare sector is much better than mine.
      (Also, your Canadian banks :) )
      I see that we like the consumer sector which is not a bad thing to be defensive.
      Like they say, great minds think alike :)
      D4s

      Delete
  5. Nice work at breaking your old record. Collecting $383 in a single month is truly fantastic. The fact that you are reinvesting those dividends will help ensure you continually break your monthly records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Investment hunter, thanks for your encouragement. Yep, it definitely feels good, but I can't stop here. I will try to continue my investments regardless of the market. Follow the footsteps of Mr. Dividend Pipeline.
      D4s

      Delete
  6. Wow! Nice dividend income Div4son!
    And I like your purchases last month too. UL and UTX are both on my watchlist - I just find them to expensive at the moment. But I think that's the deal with those high quality businesses.
    UTX hit my price target, but I was already out of money. It's always the same - if they hit, they hit it more or less all at the same time.
    But time is on our side. Sometimes it helps me to put things into perspective - in over 20 years (assuming I continue my journey as planned), the portfolio will be over one million. Thinking to much about a lost opportunity with this $1k or that $2k is really not worth it. It's the general direction and steady saving & investing which is the most important part of our journey.

    Thanks for sharing and good luck to you
    DivRider


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks DivRider.
      I agree with you. Sometimes, we get caught up with 'fair' valuation and we miss the long term goals of investing. I think you and I are following the steady and regular investment approach which which is a good long term strategy.
      Thanks for visiting and good luck with you over there!
      D4s

      Delete
  7. D4s,

    Awesome work. Congrats. A new record for dividend income AND more than $5k put to work. I don't think anyone could possibly be unhappy with a month like that. Fantastic! :)

    You can really see the dividend income accelerating now from all the aggressive moves you've been making. It's only going to get bigger and better from here.

    Keep it up!

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason. I am trying to ignore the market noise and just continue my investments - weekly if possible. It is fantastic though with the dividend income. Hopefully, more to come, right?
      D4s

      Delete