Tuesday, November 3, 2015

October Summary




The market has mostly recovered from the lows of this year. Is it over? I believe there will be some volatility ahead - but to be honest, I don’t know. I just know that if you focus on the right things (e.g. Dividends Income, regular investing - okay, you need to start first!), then the market doesn’t really matter too much.



I’ve been really busy at work this month. There’s a couple of deadlines. We must implement some new ideas. All of this means that I have been quiet on the blogging front. You can read some of my articles below.


I am still continuously investing. I am trying to invest at least $1000 a week. More, if I have funds available. I am really into the idea of “investing paycheck to paycheck”.

In October, I bought some shares in the following companies:

Date
Transaction
Ticker
Price
Quantity
Amount
Dividends/Year
Est. For Dividend
10/6/2015
Buy
VZ
44.12
22.58
996.00
2.26
$51.03
10/13/2015
Buy
FAST
38.37
25.96
996.00
1.12
$29.07
10/20/2015
Buy
WMT
58.78
17.29
1016.00
1.96
$33.88
10/27/2015
Buy
T
33.24
29.97
996.00
1.88
$56.34




Total
$4,004.00
Total
$170.33

My goal is to increase the estimated forward dividends. With the four trades, I have increased my yearly dividends by $170.33. Assuming the companies continue to do business and pay a regular dividend, I have essentially locked in my future income which will rise based on the dividend growth rate.

Since August of 2014, I have continuously invested. I have now eclipsed $90k invested.


Company Diversification

In October, my focus was to build up my exposure to the other companies in my portfolio that are unrepresented. Apart from WMT, the positions I added are relatively small in my portfolio.




Sector Diversification

For October, I wanted to re-balance my sectors by adding to Technology and Services. I am also light on Healthcare - so this is an area to focus in the next few months.






Dividend Income

After a stellar month in September, I ‘only’ received $181.54 from dividends. Also, I received $14 from Baxter which is a position I closed. I must have issued the trade after the ex-dividends date.


Date
Transaction
Ticker
Dividends
10/1/2015
ReinvDiv
KO
40.71
10/14/2015
ReinvDiv
DEO
64.11
10/14/2015
ReinvDiv
PM
62.71
10/26/2015
Dividend
BAX
14.01


Total
181.54

Based on the graph below, the drop from September to October is very clear. However, I am happy that it is heading the right direction.



This chart is also reminding me of diversifying my portfolio based on time of dividends payment. It seems March, June, September and December are my best months.

Estimated Forward Dividends

In October, I have eclipsed my milestone of $3000 forward annual dividends. I am now at $3,150!
Summary

Like I said earlier, the market has mostly recovered. Overall, I am down 1%. I think the market is still down around 3-4% from the high.
With my dividends, I am slowly buffering against the market losses. Based on my previous experiments, the portfolio should withstand up to 30% impact after ten years. In some ways, this makes sense. The 3-4% dividends is slowly improving the cost basis every year. If I find some time, I will explore this a bit more.

Summary Totals
Total Valuation
89,789.43

Total Cost
90,770.38

Total Gain
-1.08%

Est FW Div
3153.64

Est Yield
3.47%

That's it for now! How was your October?

D4s

16 comments:

  1. Invest $4K, average yield of 4.26% sure feel great! I love the big sell off. Now, it's harder to find a good deal, I'm going to size up my cash balance again. Goodluck with the future investments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks vivianne! It is harder to find bargains - for sure! I still have a few options though. I just bought some UNP this week. Slow and steady is the best way.
      D4s

      Delete
  2. Solid dividend income and great stuff that you're able to invest regularly. Investing paycheck to paycheck is a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tawcan, thanks for visiting! I used to work paycheck to paycheck. Now I invest paycheck to paycheck. This is only possible because of my emergency fund is fully loaded.
      D4s

      Delete
  3. Very impressed with your disciplined approach of investing each week. Congrats on surpassing the $3K forward dividend milestone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIH, thanks for your encouragement. I find it easier if I just invest weekly rather than all at once. I don't monitor the markets. I just plan on Monday and invest in Tuesday. Of course, I make use of my portfolio and screener to decide. After that, I really don't check my portfolio for the rest of the week.
      Slow and steady.
      D4s

      Delete
  4. Nice job D4s! 3k of forward dividends is something to be proud of for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam, proud yes indeed ! But I can't stop here. I will continue to crawl higher.
      Thanks for visiting.
      D4s

      Delete
  5. Great job. Received a solid amount of dividends and even better you invested enough capital to almost add another October to your dividends going forward. That's great stuff there. I'm trying to focus on building up positions as well and working on evening out my sector diversification too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pip, the market dip was good to build up my positions and diversify. The dividends are good - but it's a long journey. I need to continue to invest.
      Thanks for you comments.
      D4s

      Delete
  6. Keep it up D4S. Congrats on your goal of over 3k in divies. Thanks for sharing the posts bud. It's always wonderful and truly a blessing receiving money from our hard work. Enjoy the fruits of your labour.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hustler, thanks for visiting!
      Enjoying it for sure. But I can't stop. I just made another trade yesterday. It's all thanks to you and the other bloggers to motivate me going forward.
      D4s

      Delete
  7. D4s,

    Wow! $90k invested since August of last year?! That's incredible. Fast track to financial independence. :)

    Keep it up over there. You're killing it!

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, compared with your October, my results are just peanuts. In any case, thanks. I know I can't stop.
      D4s

      Delete
  8. Div Son

    Great Dividend income for October. we share some companies.

    Keep the snowball rolling.

    Sharon - Divorcedff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, you know what they say about great minds thinking alike. :)
      D4s

      Delete