Monday, February 1, 2016

January Summary


January was another crazy month for the market. Unfortunately, my capital was mostly tied up with my property tax and insurance. I only managed one trade on my taxable account. I did make up for it in my tax deferred account. Also, work was quite busy so I didn’t have time to write as many articles as I would like. Here are the links to my articles:


I am happy that my tools are also very popular this month.

For February, I need to save for my Auto insurance as well as my federal taxes. My buying may also be limited - but I will try to make a trade or two. Let’s see how it will go.



Taxable Account

Just one buy. The reason is because I need to save for my property taxes and insurance bills in January.

Date
Transaction
Ticker
Price
Quantity
Amount
Dividends/Year
Est. For Dividend
1/12/2016
BUY
ADM
$33.57
45
1510.89
$1.12
$50.40




Total
$9,228.10
Total
$50.40

So, not much in terms of changes in my portfolio.

Company Diversification


Sector Diversification


Dividend Income

I received $118 this month. While not a record, compared with January 2014, this is an $100 improvement (which is around 650% gain!).


Date
Transaction
Ticker
Dividends
1/4/2016
ReinvDiv
WMT
42.61
1/5/2016
ReinvDiv
KMB
12.32
1/8/2016
ReinvDiv
PM
63.47


Total
118.40



Estimated Forward Dividends

My forward estimated dividends is $3362.



Taxable Account Summary

Summary Totals
Total Valuation
94,277.21

Total Cost
97,315.39

Total Gain
-3.12%

Est FW Div
3362.55

Est Yield
3.46%


401k Tax Deferred Account

Again, my apologies for the lack of detail. I just started adding the DGI option in my 401k account. For now, I will just detail the transactions until I get several months of data of investments and dividends.

The details of my purchases are shown in the table below. This is not fresh capital since I am reallocating funds inside my 401k. Based on the transactions, I expect an addition of $550 to my yearly dividends. The previous fund was primarily focused on capital appreciation.

Date
Transaction
Ticker
Price
Quantity
Amount
Dividends/Year
Est. For Dividend
1/6/2016
Buy
TROW
68.99
50
3449.50
2.08
$104.00
1/7/2016
Buy
HSY
85.61
25
2140.25
2.33
$58.25
1/8/2016
Buy
JNJ
99.23
35
3473.05
3.00
$105.00
1/13/2016
Buy
MMM
138.99
20
2792.55
4.10
$82.00
1/15/2016
Buy
DEO
101.88
30
3069.45
3.40
$102.00
1/15/2016
Buy
UL
40.13
75
3022.50
1.32
$99.00
1/28/2016
Buy
ABT
37.6
50
1892.00
1.04
$52.00




Total
$9,228.10
Total
$550.25


401k Tax Deferred Summary

Total Valuation
TBD
Total Cost
36508.02
Total Gain
TBD
Est FW Div
$1063.83
Est Yield
2.91%

I will update the valuation and gain numbers once I have a few more months of data.

Summary

Okay - it’s not the best month in terms of income. However, I am happy the income is still growing. Moreover, I am happy with the development of my tax-deferred account.

How was your January?

D4s

16 comments:

  1. Our January was pretty solid and another step in the right direction. I just wish I could have been adding more capital to my portfolio though with the increased volatility in the markets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good job with your January results! Income is great! I am not we have gave some sales this year, so let's see when we can buy more!
      D4s

      Delete
  2. DIV4SON

    I like yor January income andalsoyour YoY gain, My dividend income is very low in January, but this is only the start of the year , so hope for a better months latter in the year.

    Sharon - Divorcedff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, thanks. January is a slow month, but no worries. As long as the income rolls in, that's what matters :)
      Good luck in February!
      D4s

      Delete
  3. Nice yoy gain of 650%. The seeds you planted are starting to grown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dividender, thanks for visiting. When you start small, the gain can be huge. After a few years, I fully expect my income growth to slow down. Hopefully, the growth will never slow to below the rate of inflation so that I can live on the income indefinitely.
      D4s

      Delete
  4. hi D4s,

    I'm like you. I wanted to make a bunch of buys this month but instead only made a couple and saving the rest for tax bills and car insurance. Let's hope the IRS becomes merciful and the bear market continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broke Dividend Investor,
      It is tough during the 1Q. First, the property tax and then federal tax with insurance in Jan and Feb. I think I can manage a few trades though. Let's see. :)
      Thanks for visiting!
      D4s

      Delete
  5. January wasn't all that bad for me considering last year I received $0 in dividend. Wow, forward $3400 is awesome, that's without any raise or new capital.

    Keep it up!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivianne, before at work, I always look forward to the annual bonus which was a few thousand dollars. Now, I will get this every year and it should grow yearly. It looks like you doing really well in January! Well done! D4s

      Delete
  6. Nice job D4s! Nice improvement over last year as well. I am so jealous you can invest in anything in your 401k. I'm limited to mutual funds and only a handful at that. Argh. Keep up the good work my friend!
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adam. It's definitely good to have the option to invest in individual stocks in the 401k. It's like I have two BB-guns to "hunt for elephants".
      D4s

      Delete
  7. Keep it up D4S. You're doing it up and making your family proud. Keep pushing that snowball to bigger and bigger. It gets easier with each month. Cheers and enjoy the journey my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dividend Hustler for the encouragement. I know I need to keep going. The thing that is keeping me going is the increasing dividend income. Soon, I will surpass most of my monthly expenses (if I include my other dividends from the mutual funds/savings that actually pays me). After that, it is just to build a bigger safety net. But it's a tough long journey.
      D4s

      Delete
  8. I was happy with my January progress. No complaints from me as long as I see some decent year over year growth. Nice ADM buy.Was a nice surprise to get a 7% raise from a company that's facing so many headwinds these days. Nice list of companies paying you as well. Keep growing that dividend snowball.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Divhut,
      Thanks for your encouragement! It looks like that you are very steady with your dividend income. Well done on your January numbers. For me, I will try to invest more into the market, but my tax and insurance expenses are dragging me down.
      D4s

      Delete